Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Maria's Comfort

In the September of 1774, a young Alexander Hamilton rushed to where the two year old daughter of his friend and benefactor, Elias Boudinot, lay ill. Long sleepless nights of waiting and watching followed. After her death, a much affected Hamilton penned the following words.

For the sweet babe, my doting heart
Did all a mother's fondness feel;
Careful to act each tender part
And guard from every threatening ill.

But what alas! availed my care?
The unrelenting hand of death,
Regardless of a parent's prayer
Has stopped my lovely infant's breath.

Thou'st gone, forever gone-yet where,
Ah! pleasing thought, to endless bliss.
Then, why indulge the rising tear?
Canst thou, fond heart, lament for this?

Let reason silence nature's strife,
And weep Maria's fate no more;
She's safe from all the storms of life,
And wafted to a peaceful shore.


When I originally read this poem, I was very moved. Then I began to think of what little Anna Maria might have said in response to his grief. And so I wrote this poem, and entitled it 'Maria's Comfort'.

I look down from Heaven above,
And mourn the loss my parents bear;
For them I always greatly love,
And know this parting their hearts tears.

But with sweet love the Father's hand
Rescu'd me from all worldly cares;
And now with him I safely stand,
In Answer to my parent's prayrs.

I have gone from this earth, indeed.
Gone to heaven, to endless Bliss,
Safe in glory, with never need.
Canst thou, fond heart, lament for this?

Let reason silence nature's strife,
And weep my wondrous fate no more;
I'm safe from all the storms of life
And landed on a peacefull Shore.


(And yes, the apparent misspellings are on purpose; I was attempting to copy the style of the times. :) )

Blessings,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are welcome to comments! Please use the Thumper rule. :D